Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chickens!

I so wish that I could have a small chicken coop, so that we can have fresh chicken eggs for all our our cooking and baking.  Chickens are great.  They are not messy, they keep away fleas and other bugs such as mosquitos, and they are not messy or noisy.   The other cool thing about chickens is that you only need to have three hens (no rooster needed), to be provided with an abundance of eggs for you and your family. 
We are so interested in chickens that we went to a discussion at the Haverhill Library put on by the Haverhill Farmer's Market. about keeping chickens put on by local farmers.  So one of my reading topics as of late has been urban farming, and  keeping chickens in the city.  I know realistically I will not be able to have chickens any time soon, but as a start my family and I can commit to buy local farm fresh eggs, and learn as much as we can about someday having a coop of our own.  I have read some great books on the subject.  One is called Made from Scratch Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich.  Two others I have been perusing are A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert and Hannah Litt.   I also just got the book Chicken and Egg by Janice Cole, but I have not had the time to look through that one yet. 

Jenna has a great blog  called Cold Antler Farm which can be found here:
http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Popular Posts