Sunday, April 8, 2012

Salem New Hampshire Farmer's Market Part 2


We had so much fun when we attended the Salem NH Farmer's Market, that I couldn't get everything we saw and enjoyed into one post!  While we were waiting for Jamieson of Brookford Farm to set up his table, we went inside, and checked out some of the vendors in there.  You could smell fresh waffles cooking in the waffle iron.  I told my lil guy that they were selling "Waffles on a stick" AKA Waffle Lolly's!  They are made my a sweet woman named Christine, and her business is called Want Waffles, and that link will bring you to her Facebook page.  She was running a special for children ages 6 and under could get one for $1.00!  Aidan enjoyed maple syrup and powdered sugar on his, and he thought it was fantastic! 

While Mom was checking out the other tables, the music had just started up, and the guys are suckers when it comes to Blues and Jazz!  Poor Howard Stith had just started playing, and Aidan wanted to be front and center.  Howard is a great guy and we all enjoyed his music.  Actually, Aidan enjoyed it so much that that is where the guys stayed until Mom was done shopping and chatting!  I thought Howard was great,  He plays what he refers to as "traditional 12-string blues and roots music", "Songs from Mother's knee and other low joints."  In between songs Howard shares stories, jokes and anecdotes, and it draws you in and makes you want to hear more.  He is out of Dover, NH.  He did have a CD available for only $10.  Aidan wanted a bit of Howard's music to take home with us.  It was definitely worth the price.  Aidan has CD's at home, Dan Zanes, etc, but this was his first non-kid CD.  When Howard heard this, he breaked after his song, and autographed the cd liner for Aidan!  We have been listening to that CD non-stop since, whenever Aidan is in the car! 

By this time, my bags were getting heavy, and my camera was in some pocket.  I made my way over to the busy table that Hurd Farm, a family farm from Hampton, NH were selling their "Naturally raised meat, the healthier choice for you and your family"!  
Here is a little bit about them found on their site:  "We were a dairy farm that has transitioned to locally raised all natural meats and poultry. The Hurd family has owned and operated the farm
since 1923.
Today we raise all natural grass fed beef and chickens and Heritage breed pigs.
Our meats and poultry are fed an all-natural diet with no added antibiotics or other
additives as growth stimulants. Our animals are provided access to green grass
and sunshine on our farm's 160 acres.
We offer the best home grown beef, pork, chicken, and eggs to our customers." 


 The Hurd family was very friendly, and they told me that they have a meat CSA, as well as selling their great products at local markets.  If the line at their table was any indication, I knew we were in for a treat when we made our pulled pork!  I purchased a Pork Butt and pound of nitrite free bacon.  The next day the Pork Butt went into my crock-pot!  And the end results......Wow!  Melted in your mouth!  Aidan is a pulled pork fanatic and he thought it was the best!  






Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the finished product.  I did not have my camera handy.  


We saw many other vendors that day, all had some great stuff available.  The Salem, NH Farmer's Market is definitely worth visiting.  


One thing I have enjoyed about our participation in CSA's, farmer's markets, and visiting local farms, aside from supporting my local community, is that my son is learning where his food comes from.  I think he is starting to get that the food we buy at the farm, and market or receive in our CSA is not anything like they sell in the grocery store.  I want to thank all of the small local businesses that keep on trudging, even though the economy is getting more and more difficult.  Makes us want to spend more of our dollars closer to home!  Have a great Easter, Passover or whatever you believe in!  May you have a great time with your family!


Kellie & Family!

 

1 comment:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Thanks for the sweet comment, and yes, it went through (I screen all my comments before posting them on my blog). I love NH, I have fond memories of North Conway. I love pulled pork and I'm happy to see you documenting your adventures with your little guy!

Popular Posts